DISCOVER ALL THE RUBIKA COURSES !
The 4-day Discovery Stays allow you to put yourself in the shoes of a RUBIKA student and experience each of our fields (design, animation and video games).
They are intended for curious and creative high school students, regardless of their knowledge in the targeted fields. By participating, you will benefit from a program developed by RUBIKA’s speakers to help you discover the fundamentals of each field.
Take the first step towards your future career!
The stay is conducted in French
10 July 2023 ᐳ 13 July 2023
(welcome of the participants on 9 July 2023 at 4:30 pm)
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
Anyone aged 15 and over (9th grade)
Single package at 760€ including:
➔ 4 nights in a university residence
➔ 12 meals
➔ 4 snacks
➔ 1 bowling night
PROGRAM OF THE STAY
During this first day, you will be introduced to the design program and discover the campus. You will develop your creativity and experience
- sharing ideas in teams (brainstorming)
- writing a scenario around a concept (storytelling)
- using sketching techniques to express an idea (sketch)
- using tools (graphics and manuals) to create a model
At the end of this first day, you will make a personalized assessment with the speakers by exchanging on the work done.
DISCOVERY OF ANIMATION
After a good night’s sleep, you will discover the animation field and experience :
- the elaboration of a short stop-motion animation project
- writing a script and making a storyboard (narration)
- the use of tools to make and animate the elements of the film
- the installation of a set and the adjustment of the light
- shooting the sequences and editing them with stop motion software
- exporting the film on a USB key
At the end of the day, you will do a personalized assessment with the speakers by exchanging on the work done.
DISCOVERY OF GAME DESIGN
During this third day, you will be introduced to game design through board games. You will learn how to create a game and will experiment among other things :
- the creation of a universe (reflection on the background, writing, awareness of graphic rendering)
- the writing of rules
- the relationship between graphics and gameplay
- the realization of a quick prototype
At the end of the day, you will make a personalized assessment with the speakers by exchanging on the work done.
On this last day, you will choose the field of study you wish to pursue. You will familiarize yourself with digital tools thanks to the equipment lent by the school
- Animation: introduction to the fundamentals of animation, animation exercises, drawing on a graphic tablet, use of 2D animation software…
- Design: getting to grips with photoshop, drawing on a graphics tablet, introduction to rendering, formatting (patterns, colors, textures, effects)…
- Game Art : photoshop, drawing on a graphic tablet, introduction to speed painting, coloring…
- Game Design : discovery of Unity, use of a 3D engine, understanding the logic of Game Objects, initiation to scripts…
DISCOVERY STAY WITH ACCOMMODATION (4 DAYS)
Access requirements: be in ninth, tenth or eleventh grade during the 2022-2023 academic year
Accommodation: 4 nights in a university residence + bowling night
Meals: 12 meals + 4 snacks
Fee: 795 €
Is accommodation mandatory?
Accommodation is mandatory. It favors exchanges and immersion of the participants. The evenings organized by the student guides (screenings, games, exchanges) are an integral part of the experience.
Where are the participants accommodated?
The participants of the Discovery Stay are accommodated in university rooms (single room) with breakfasts. Students will stay at RUBIKA in the evenings and accompany the group to their accommodation.
How to reach RUBIKA from the train station?
A shuttle bus will accompany participants from the train station to the campus (and back).
Are we allowed to go off campus?
No outings are allowed except for trips organized as part of the stay (accommodation, meals, bowling evenings).
Is it necessary to provide pocket money?
In principle, no, as meals and snacks are provided. However, vending machines for drinks and snacks are available, and can be operated by credit card or coins. Depending on the period, the CROUS cafeteria may also be accessible.
Do participants need to bring any equipment?
Participants must bring their own drawing materials. A list is sent before the beginning of the stay. Some of the small material is provided (paper). Computer equipment is available for the workshops that require it.
Who teaches during the stays?
The Discovery Stays are supervised by RUBIKA instructors who are also video game, animation or design professionals.
Will we meet any RUBIKA students?
The Discovery Stays take place during the vacations but some students stay on campus to work. During the stays, there will be opportunities to meet with them. Student guides will also be present to answer all your questions.
Can the Discovery Stay be followed remotely?
The Discovery Stays take place exclusively in person, on the RUBIKA Valenciennes campus.
Can I cancel my participation?
You have a 14-day cooling-off period after your registration. After this period, and for whatever reason, a refund will only be possible if a candidate on the waiting list shows up.
During the COVID period, the stay can be reimbursed or proposed to be postponed to another period.
« Ce séjour était une expérience intense. J’ai fait des rencontres formidables, je me suis surpassée, mais aussi beaucoup amusée. L’ambiance familiale et les animateurs géniaux ont rendu ce séjour inoubliable. »
« Creative! I discovered ways of creating that I didn’t know or had no idea I could do. This stay has really motivated me, even more than before. I am even more eager to push myself in my creations, learn more and progress. »